GPS Origins Ancestry Test
Our DNA Origins® test can determine a person’s bio-geographic ancestry. If you are interested in researching your family history, or you simply want to learn more your background, this test can provide you with a clear understanding of your genetic ancestry and provide a platform into further research about your likely ancestors.
What to expect with your results?
DNA Bioservices can provide you with your ancestral breakdown of the four founding populations: European, Indigenous American, Sub-Saharan African, and East Asian. It’s significant to bear in mind that these “founding populations” refer to a group of people with combined ancestry that live in certain geopolitical areas with “blurred boundaries.”
In “defining your racial background,” the DNA Origins test also delivers a statistical approximation of an individual’s BioGeographical Ancestry (BGA). BGA is a way of stating the proportional ancestry of a person that is independent of the various socially stated “races.” Race is frequently reported by social or political conventions (there is no biological definition of “race”), biogeographical ancestry describes populations that share comparable DNA markers because of a mixed ancestry, which could cross a number of geographical areas.
What is race?
Generally race includes both a cultural and biological feature of a person or group of people. Physical attributes between populations are often connected by cultural distinctions; separating these two aspects of race has been demanding. The last few decades there has been progression in several fields of science to quantify the issue by declaring that race is “just a social construct”. This may be correct, this would depend what variation between people one is reflecting, it is a fact that there are biological differences between the populations of the world. An obvious example of a biological difference is skin colour. There is a strong genetic aspect to the level of pigmentation in an individual’s skin and there are many differences across the various populations. Pigmentation is only skin deep and a basic heritable trait in relation of the complicated environments in how we live and how these environments affect our individual and group quality of life is far beyond our ability to apprehend as scientists.
Using a DNA sample provided through a simple cheek swab, our laboratory tests more than 80,000 unique genetic markers. Cross-checking that information across dozens of gene pools and more than 1,000 reference populations, we use DNA to create a detailed report about where a family's DNA originated and how each unique DNA signature migrated over time. This can help answer questions about a family’s history, and shed light on the origins of certain family traits.
This advanced autosomal test is so targeted, it may even indicate the town or village where groups of ancestors from different cultures met—building a vibrant picture of the migration journeys that formed a deep genealogical heritage.
- New ancestral tracking technique pinpoints genetic genealogy
- 80,000 autosomal genetic markers tested, 1,000+ reference populations and 41 gene pools analyzed
- Simple and painless cheek swab to collect DNA sample
- DNA is not sent to a third-party lab
Benefits of GPS Origins®:
- The first and best DNA test with bio-geographical targeting capability to the town or village level
- Identifies when and where DNA was formed by matching the populations that came together to create a genetic line
- Traces the migration route of both maternal and paternal lineages, showing the last three (3) locations where a DNA signature underwent significant changes
- Provides detailed stories helping to explain DNA mixture events such as wars, famines, and migrations
- Developed by a leading population geneticist from the University of Sheffield in England
Test Results Include:
- Example report can be found at: GPS Origins Sample Report
- Dynamic online experience featuring an interactive map, allowing you to zoom into GPS pinpoints—revealing towns and cities
- Online results feature:
- Maps of the top three ancestral origins (the gene pools or ancestral communities that contributed to significant portions of the genetic makeup) along with the percentages of DNA inherited from each
- A comprehensive gene-pool profile with DNA percentages that goes well beyond basic ethnicity tests
- A detailed map illustrating maternal and paternal migration journeys with descriptions on how an ancestors' circumstances may have changed as they crossed territories and continents to find better lives
How do I order an Ancestry Test?
Order your DNA Collection Kit from our secure order page
Take your samples in the privacy of your home
Place samples in supplied swab envelopes
Complete your application form
Return completed kit in the reply paid envelope
Testing takes up to 5 weeks
- Report sent via email
How is the DNA Origins® test different from other ancestry tests?
DNA Origins is a distinctive test stating the percentages of your ancestral makeup specified on markers across your 22 pairs of autosomes (non-sex chromosomes); taking into account contributions from your full range of ancestors. Maternal and paternal lineage tests also offered, only report the maternally inherited mtDNA, or the paternally inherited Y-DNA. These lineage tests provide you with information about your direct maternal and paternal lines, as detailed in the diagram beneath.